Sunday, August 24, 2014

The Folded Napkin ... A Truckers Story

I'm not sure where this originated, but it is fantastic!  Grab your tissues, you're going to need lots!

The Folded  Napkin ... A Truckers  Story
 If this  doesn't light your fire .... your wood is  wet!

  I try not  to be biased, but I had my doubts about hiring  Stevie.
His placement counselor assured me that  he would be a good, reliable  busboy.

But I had  never had a mentally handicapped employee and  wasn't sure I wanted one.

I wasn't sure how my  customers would react to  Stevie.

He was  short, a little dumpy with the smooth facial  features and thick-tongued speech of Down’s  Syndrome.

I wasn't worried about most of my  trucker customers because truckers don't  generally care who buses tables as long as the  meatloaf platter is good and the pies are  homemade.

The  four-wheeler drivers were the ones who concerned  me; the mouthy college kids travelling to school;  the yuppie snobs who secretly polish their  silverware with their napkins for fear of  catching some dreaded "truck stop germ," the  pairs of white-shirted business men on expense  accounts who think every truck stop waitress  wants to be flirted with.

I knew those people  would be uncomfortable around Stevie so I  closely watched him for the first few  weeks.

I  shouldn't have worried. After the first week,  Stevie had my staff wrapped around his stubby  little finger, and within a month my truck  regulars had adopted him as their official truck  stop mascot.
After  that, I really didn't care what the rest of the  customers thought of him.
He was like a  21-year-old kid in blue jeans and Nikes, eager  to laugh and eager to please, but fierce in his  attention to his duties.

Every salt and pepper  shaker was exactly in its place, not a bread  crumb or coffee spill was visible when Stevie  got done with the table.
Our only problem was  persuading him to wait to clean a table until  after the customers were finished. He would  hover in the background, shifting his weight  from one foot to the other, scanning the dining  room until a table was empty. Then he would  scurry to the empty table and carefully bus  dishes and glasses onto his cart and  meticulously wipe the table up with a practiced  flourish of his rag. If he thought a customer  was watching, his brow would pucker with added  concentration. He took pride in doing his job  exactly right, and you had to love how hard he  tried to please each and every person he  met.

Over time,  we learned that he lived with his mother, a  widow who was disabled after repeated surgeries  for cancer. They lived on their Social Security  benefits in public housing two miles from the  truck stop. Their social worker, who stopped to  check on him every so often, admitted they had  fallen between the cracks. Money was tight, and  what I paid him was probably the difference  between them being able to live together and  Stevie being sent to a group home. That's why  the restaurant was a gloomy place that morning  last August,
the first morning in three years  that Stevie missed work. He was at  the Mayo Clinic in Rochester getting a new valve  or something put in his heart.

His social worker  said that people with Down’s Syndrome often have  heart problems at an early age so this wasn't  unexpected, and there was a good chance he would  come through the surgery in good shape and be  back at work in a few months.

A ripple  of excitement ran through the staff later that  morning when word came that he was out of  surgery, in recovery, and doing fine. Frannie,  the head waitress, let out a war hoop and did a  little dance in the aisle when she heard the  good news.  Marvin  Ringers, one of our regular trucker customers,  stared at the sight of this 50-year-old  grandmother of four doing a victory shimmy  beside his table.
Frannie blushed, smoothed her  apron and shot Marvin a withering look.

He  grinned. "OK, Frannie, what was that all about?"  he asked.
"We just  got word that Stevie is out of surgery and going  to be okay."
"I was wondering where he was. I  had a new joke to tell him. What was the surgery  about?" Frannie quickly told Marvin and the  other two drivers sitting at his booth about  Stevie's surgery, then sighed: " Yeah, I'm glad  he is going to be OK," she said. "But I don't  know how he and his Mom are going to handle all  the bills. From what I hear, they're barely  getting by as it is." Marvin nodded  thoughtfully, and Frannie hurried off to wait on  the rest of her tables.

Since I hadn't had time  to round up a busboy to replace Stevie and  really didn't want to replace him, the girls  were busing their own tables that day until we  decided what to do.  After the  morning rush, Frannie walked into my office. She  had a couple of paper napkins in her hand and a  funny look on her face.

"What's  up?" I asked.  "I didn't  get that table where Marvin and his friends were  sitting cleared off after they left, and Pete  and Tony were sitting there when I got back to  clean it off," she said. "This was folded and  tucked under a coffee cup." She handed the  napkin to me, and three $20 bills fell onto my  desk when I opened it.
On the outside, in big,  bold letters, was printed "Something For  Stevie."  "Pete  asked me what that was all about," she said, "so  I told him about Stevie and his Mom and  everything, and Pete looked at Tony and Tony  looked at Pete, and they ended up giving me  this." She handed me another paper napkin that  had "Something For Stevie" scrawled on its  outside. Two $50 bills were tucked with in its  folds. Frannie looked at me with wet, shiny  eyes, shook her head and said simply:  "truckers."
That was  three months ago. Today is Thanksgiving, the  first day Stevie is supposed to be back to  work.
His  placement worker said he's been counting the  days until the doctor said he could work, and it  didn't matter at all that it was a holiday. He  called 10 times in the past week, making sure we  knew he was coming, fearful that we had  forgotten him or that his job was in jeopardy. I  arranged to have his mother bring him to work. I  then met them in the parking lot and invited  them both to celebrate his day  back.

Stevie was  thinner and paler, but couldn't stop grinning as  he pushed through the doors and headed for the  back room where his apron and busing cart were  waiting.  "Hold up  there, Stevie, not so fast," I said. I took him  and his mother by their arms. "Work can wait for  a minute. To celebrate your coming back,  breakfast for you and your mother is on me!" I  led them toward a large corner booth at the rear  of the room.

I could  feel and hear the rest of the staff following  behind as we marched through the dining room.  Glancing over my shoulder, I saw booth after  booth of grinning truckers empty and join the  procession. We stopped in front of the big  table. Its surface was covered with coffee cups,  saucers and dinner plates, all sitting slightly  crooked on dozens of folded paper napkins.  "First thing you have to do, Stevie, is clean up  this mess," I said. I tried to sound  stern.

Stevie  looked at me, and then at his mother, then  pulled out one of the napkins. It had "Something  for Stevie" printed on the outside. As he picked  it up, two $10 bills fell onto the  table. Stevie  stared at the money, then at all the napkins  peeking from beneath the tableware, each with  his name printed or scrawled on it. I turned to  his mother. "There's more than $10,000 in cash  and checks on that table, all from truckers and  trucking companies that heard about your  problems.

"Happy  Thanksgiving."

Well, it  got real noisy about that time, with everybody  hollering and shouting, and there were a few  tears, as well. But you  know what's funny? While everybody else was busy  shaking hands and hugging each other, Stevie,  with a big smile on his face, was busy clearing  all the cups and dishes from the  table.. Best  worker I ever hired.

Plant a  seed and watch it grow.

If you shed a  tear, hug yourself, because you are a  compassionate person.

Keep it  going, this is a good one. The Folded  napkin

No comments:

Post a Comment